Monday, August 15, 2011

More Uniform Rumors

We're hearing some crazy rumors as to what the Dawgs will be wearing come September 3rd. I know a lot of you have probably been reading the internet chatter lately, but I wouldn't be so fast in thinking that those are correct. We've seen/heard everything from silver helmets with stripes and red pants to the black uniforms that you first heard about here, but quickly dismissed as just mock-up foolishness. In case you didn't catch the first story we broke on UNIFORM RUMORS just click the link.

I don't have any inside info on what we will be wearing, other than the potential of what's displayed above, as it's been kept very hush, hush around Butts-Mehre. To think that we'll be wearing some ridiculous clown-looking uniform like I've heard doesn't make much sense. I don't anticipate that there will be a huge redesign or reinvention of the uniform, but I think it will be more of "tweak" to the traditional, much the same as Alabama's from last season.

Just consider the press release from Nike:

As is the new tradition, the Nike Pro Combat uniforms were each designed to be a tribute to the unique heritage and history of the individual college football programs. And as would be expected from Nike, they're also the pinnacle of on-field innovation from head to toe. Built to be lighter, faster, stronger and tougher than anything ever worn on the football turf at any level, the 2011 Nike Pro Combat uniforms are truly a look into the future of gameday gear and apparel.

If you think about the programs that have received an extremely unique treatment from Nike (Boise, Mizzou, Miami), they aren't teams that have very much tradition in what they wear. Barring the Halloween get-ups for the Cocktail Party in '09, the jersey change by Nike hasn't been world changing with a team who takes pride in wearing similar stuff from week to week. I don't expect the jump to Pro-Combat to be that different either. It may well be very unique and new to us, but I don't expect the color scheme to be surprisingly off-key.

Maybe I'll be surprised, but we'll keep you updated if we hear any inside info on what the Dawgs may look like come September 3rd. I guess we'll all know this Saturday.... or maybe not... wink, wink.

10 comments:

  1. I got 100 dollars says we wear silver helmets with a red stripe down the middle that goes into facemask. Red pants red jersey and silver and red cleats. Any takers lol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked to a PLAYER last night, and he told me they didnt stray too far from the norm, but it was different, and it was good. He said he wasnt allowed to talk about it much but the red was a BLOOD red, and he LOVED IT.. he used the quote "a lot of red" and he refused to comment anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope not, anon 8:12. Sounds ugly as sin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All red, know for a fact

    ReplyDelete
  5. what I said at 8:12 is 100% fact. I will truly bet 100 dollars on it. any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take that bet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will not be surprised to see silver helmet, red Jersey and silver pants. Nike takes the Ohio State approach and gives a new take on a classic UGA uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon 8:12, sapperdawg3 at yahoo email me and we can set it up. Winner pays at On The Rocks on the day of the South Carolina game. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. LoL i mean anon 12:57

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will repeat, "I hate Nike." What a smart-alec company. Yes, I know they have some bright people that work for them, but that is not the point. They are ruining the uniform traditions of many schools. I hope we are not the next group that comes out looking like clowns from a Star Trek convention.

    ReplyDelete