Thursday, August 25, 2011

GEORGIA vs. BOISE STATE SIMULATION - Tecmo Style

For those of you between the ages of 28-42, get ready to experience some intense nostalgia. Most young boys in the late 80's remember "Tecmo Bowl" and probably, its sequal, "Tecmo Super Bowl" which was released in 1991. What made Tecmo Super Bowl so great is that despite being an NES game (original Ninendo system), you could actually play an entire season, save your progress, and the game actually kept up with season stats. Truly ahead of its time.

Anyway, I was able to get my inner-techie on and create an edit of the game using Georgia and Boise State as actual playable teams. I used EA Sports NCAA '12 as a guide to edit the player ratings, and was able to edit the uniforms and playbooks as well. Then, I simply let the CPU play it out against each other. I just watched from afar and was able to record the action using an emulator called "NEStopia".

There are a few things to note:
  • The helmet and pants had to be the same color...I guess it's just how to game was programmed. So I used all red for UGA including the helmets.
  • You can't use a defensive player to return kicks and punts so I used Malcolm Mitchell as a return man. 
  • As I said above, I didn't play as either team. I just let the "computer" play each other. 
So, without further adieu, LET'S GET. IT. ON! (note the stats leaders at the end of the video)





5 comments:

  1. Walsh misses 2 fgs?....no way

    ReplyDelete
  2. He missed two against UF in 2008...just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. No pro combat uni's? Seriously, this gave me a good laugh... That game was awesome and as you said, ahead of its time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you didn't attend the North Avenue Technical Academy for Social Degenerates Tesla? Impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...so many memories. My mother HATED that music. :)

    ReplyDelete