Monday, August 8, 2011

26 Days: Malcolm Mitchell and Marc Deas

Mitchell...


Good Monday morning to you all out there in Dawg land. For those of you keeping track, we’re only 636 short hours away from what could be the beginning and end of our season. It’ll definitely be the beginning of our season, but you can use your imagination to fill in the rest of that thought.

Enough with the negativity though, this is a generally always rosey article, so I’ll quit with it.

Today’s featured Dawgs are Malcolm Mitchell and Marc Deas. As far as what Mitchell has looked like this preseason, well, just read any blog that concerns Georgia sports. He’s been garnering rave reviews from Aaron Murray to Aaron Boone. Seriously, EVERYONE is on Mitchell’s stuff right now. It’s good for my wideout outlook, but really bad for the diameter of Malcolm’s skull.  A few excerpts:


“I haven’t seen speed and quickness like that for a while,” he said. “The other day he ran a post pattern and split our starting safety and one of our starting corners. Shawn Williams came up to me afterward and he’s like, ‘Aaron, I’ve never seen somebody with that kind of speed before.’ You ask any of the DBs, Boykin or any of those guys, Malcolm has unbelievable speed, unbelievable quickness.”


Freshman receiver Malcolm Mitchell still has not dropped a pass when I’ve watched him, but coaches gave him an earful this morning on what he did after the catch.

If you can’t already tell, Mitchell has been the star of the early going in fall camp.

I have heard virtually zero on Deas, but I’m sure that he’s getting some looks at what he can do at the safety position.

Forecast

Malcolm has a lot of opportunity to shine at a position where there are a ton of questions. Will he certainly make an impact? I don’t know, but it looks like he’ll get the chance, as there’s not a lot of game breaking ability in the receiver’s corps right now.

TK is the leader of the unit and is solid, but he doesn’t exude excitement. It’s like talking about Calvin Johnson and Roddy White – they’re both Pro Bowl wideouts, but you watch Calvin and you just get more excited. I don’t know if it’s me, but Roddy is going to make a square-in a 20-yard gain every time, but Calvin may take a screen pass for 85 and a TD at will.

Anyway, I’m not saying that either of these guys have the ability of those two, but the excitement factor, I feel, is similar.

I know this may be a bit premature, but if Malcolm is as advertised, he’ll probably get some starts by the end of the season. Just look at the depth chart at wide receiver and you’ll notice that there’s not a ton of depth there.

As far as Deas goes, like I said above, I’ve heard virtually nothing on his status. He’s listed behind Shawn Williams on the depth chart, but unless there are injuries, I doubt he’s going to see much action.

GATA


Next up: No. 25, Drew Wilson and Rhett McGowan

No comments:

Post a Comment