Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Inside: Two Players to Watch on Defense

Despite yesterday's post, I believe there are some good signs coming from a few of the guys on defense. I know you won't believe it, but I think there are two guys that are poised to have breakout years on the defensive side of the ball. They're guys that relatively little is ever mentioned about, but they've been at UGA for a couple years and have had some seasoning. These two are primed for a season that will likely be a great deal different from what we've seen of late.

Who is it you might ask? First the two players had to meet a few select criteria:

  • Is a current UGA football player
  • Has had at least one year in the program (whether redshirt or true sophomore)
Pretty loose selection process, but nonetheless rules out some of the *IMPACT* (BAM!) players that might find themselves on the field early - AKA Ray Drew, John Jenkins, Nick Marshall, and wild card Kent Turene (I'm going to be the first on the prediction he'll see the field at Mike come October).

So who are the lucky two?

The first is a pretty intuitive pick. Junior free safety Bacarri Rambo will shove off the post-concussion petrifieds and really pick up his play this year. No more PWNage at the hands of Marcus Lattimore - all I can see is ball-hawking and bone crushing come September. What leads me to believe this? Well, he really showed signs two years ago (and when he wasn't in trail mode last year) that he could be a solid force at safety, so I really think he can tune it back up this season. 

I don't care if he looked somewhat shaky last season at times, he sure won our hearts two years ago.

The second is going to surprise you, I know it, so just take some time to chill and watch every carry from Lattimore last year. I know it's painful, but sometimes to exorcise the demons you've gotta stare them right in the face.



The next guy is a bit of an unknown, he really hasn't played much, but he's bound to be a decent player. He was coached and recruited by great coaches who are really cerebral and understand the game. He has yet to play a snap, but I think Mike Thornton is really going to turn a few heads this season.

He might be more of a situational rusher than the two guys ahead of him, but that doesn't mean that he can't carry his own weight. I think a big part of this is that the two guys ahead of him are getting all the spotlight, but I think he has the chops to impress when he gets a chance.

You really haven't heard much of the guy to date, but he's going to get a few shots here and there to hold it down - and I think he more than will, even though I've never seen him play before.

So what do you think? These are my two "Guys Who No One is Really Talking About That Will End Up Impressing". Who do you think is going to really light the woods on fire this season?



***Also, we have greatly upgraded our podcasting setup, so get ready. We should have Episode 2 posted no later than early next week. It's just another way we are trying to reach different audiences so we look forward to your feedback***

2 comments:

  1. Ray Drew & John Jenkins get my vote. Thornton? Won't see a snap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you didn't read the qualifiers for this post. Could Marty have been more clear on this? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete