Monday, May 23, 2011

Hoops Recruiting Update: Ware and Harrow

At this point of the year, most kids have made their college destination known. Considering that fact, most folks have turned their attention away from hoops recruiting, which makes finding ANY info on tranfers, commits, flunk-outs, etc. extremely tough. Unsurprisingly, I don't have any real solid info on either of these today, but I do have an interesting development that should have a big impact on where the two of them may end up.

Louisville has been a very pronounced favorite for both Ware and Harrow. So much, in fact, that the two of them have visited or made plans to visit (Ware) in the last two weeks. I'm not sure that either of those visits will mean anything after some news out of the U of L yesterday.

Card Chronical, which is a great site for info on Louisville athletics, is reporting that George Mason's third-leading scorer and leading assist man Luke Hancock will transfer to the Fightin' Pitinos. While the Cardinals still have room for another guy in this class, it looks like they're most likely done at filling out scholarships for the guard spots. Including their 2011 class (without transfers or early departures) they'll have 10 guards on the roster

Probably didn't like the former Nerd boss as his new head coach... (My daily Tech dig)

Ware is scheduled to visit UL this weekend, but I'm not sure that visit will ultimately happen considering the numbers. With Ware's desire to play early, in my opinion, he likely won't be enrolling there come August. Ditto for Harrow, based purely on the numbers.

So the $64 million question is "Will they end up in Athens?"

I'm not so sure.

I think Harrow stands a pretty good chance of finding his way to Athens, based purely on what I heard last week, but I'm not ready to say I expect him to commit to Mark Fox. There are way too many VERY, VERY appealing basketball powerhouses courting him (UK, Texas, St. John's, etc.) I think we're in the thick of it more than most think, however.

As far as Ware's concerned, there are some circling rumors that UGA may not be putting the full court press on for him. I think the coaches are still trying to sort out the mess with UCF and get to the bottom of what really happened with his family, the coaching staff, and the agent-in-disguise. Depending on the NCAA findings, I assume there's a reasonable chance his eligibility is in the air, thus the concern.

At this point, I'd be more surprised to see Ware in Athens than Harrow considering the above. There's an outside shot that we'd take both of them, but the rumor goes that Fox only has one scholarship still on the table, though he actually has room for two.

I'd like either of the two, honestly. The biggest question for Fox is, should I take the guy that can help make my team better immediately? It's a tough one to answer, but you have to consider that a Dawg in the hand may be worth 3 or 4 wins in the bush of the SEC next year. That might mean the difference in another NCAA appearance or a 3 seed in the NIT.

So who do you go with and why?

3 comments:

  1. Harrow, Harrow, and Harrow. Too much noise in the signal with Ware, I'm afraid. Better to steer clear of that potential train wreck. Plus, by all accounts, Harrow is a true 1, where Ware is a 1/2 combo guy that you sign hoping you can develop him into a 1. I'm old school, and of the mind that point guards are born, not made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any Larry Bird's or Magic Johnson's out there we can lure to Athens? Seriously, I would be happy for us to bring in any big time talent to get this team playing toe to toe with anyone in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word on the street is that we may have a few sleepers in the class. I'm not counting chickens before they hatch, but the staff seems to be very high on the JUCO transfer, John Florveus.

    Have heard zero about him thus far, but the chatter goes that he may secure a starting spot with a good few months under his belt in Athens.

    ReplyDelete