Friday, April 15, 2011

Who Should You Be Looking For on G-Day


It's pretty safe for me to say that there will be a lot of different people watching a lot of different guys tomorrow. Some will be watching the guys in the trenches- others the AJ-less receiving corps. Are you a defensive minded person, or would you like to see the offenses put on a show? Either way, it's sure to be a good opportunity to head down to Athens and get a couple hour recharge on my waning Sanford batteries.

I've come up with a list of guys that I feel will be an important part in the eventual success or failure of the upcoming season. You may or may not agree, but I think it's hard to argue that the Dawgs will be on the uptick if  these five guys don't impress.

Since everyone loves lists, here's my "G-Day Top Five to Spy":


5. Shawn Williams, S: Since Ogletree's move to ILB, there is now an open spot in the defensive backfield alongside incumbent Bacarri Rambo. Shawn Williams is healthy, has bulked up from last year, and has all the tools to be a real ball hawk back there. I'll be closely watching him on the obvious wheel routes that Caleb will run, wait a minute, we don't throw to running backs anymore.

4. Ken Malcome, RB: I really wanna see what Ken has in the tank. I can't remember a time when I've been so down on the guys in the backfield rotation. I hope to see something that will inspire me tomorrow from this group- Malcome especially. Maybe some evasive maneuvers, breakaway speed, or insanely good hands? Hmmm...

3. Michael "White Lightnin" Bennett: I've heard rave reviews about Bennett for the last year. He's going to be very important to Aaron Murray's confidence. We no longer have the safety valve "Chunk it to A.J." play in the playbook, which took a ton of pressure off of AM in his freshman season. I'll be watching Bennett closely and seeing how he gets off the jam and runs his routes. I can only hope he will be a bit more effective than that chain mail wearing clown from "Commando" that also shares his name.



2. Every offensive lineman not named Glenn or Jones: There's a lot of talent in this group, but who knows if they'll put it together. This roster group averaged 3.64 stars out of high school, which is certainly better than at any time in the recent past. Like I said- lots of talent, but not a lot of proven success. I'll really be focused in on the guys that haven't seen any action, like Burnette and Benedict.

1. TIE!!!! Jarvis Jones, OLB & Kwame Geathers, NT: Yeah, I cheated a little on this one. I've heard nothing but good things out of the both of these guys. Having Kwame in the middle to go along with the incoming John Jenkins should lead to some big time differences in the pass rush this year. With two guys that have the ability to eat up space like these two, it's hard not to imagine some actual consistent pressure on the opposing QB this season. Jarvis is a no-brainer right here. He has a ton of talent, with the ability to rush the passer and probably more acuity in coverage than we had last year. No knock on Houston, he just didn't have enough reps doing it.

I think that's a pretty comprehensive list of who will be most interesting to watch tomorrow. So who will you be paying attention to?

No comments:

Post a Comment