Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tavarres King Talks Leadership and a Changed Mindset for 2011

***This story could filed right along with the "Man, I'm hearing great things about the S&C program this spring. They've really turned up the intensity a notch with Joe T." talk. I'll believe it when I see it on the field.***




Even though the disclaimer above should tell you that I take all of the "hyped improvement" chatter with a grain of salt, Tavarres' comments to Chris Low yesterday were certainly the right thing to be saying after a 6-7 campaign. Like usual, it's a good read from Low.

“Being a leader is an every-day thing,” said King, who will be a junior. “That’s what I’ve been pushing myself to do, in the weight room, in the classroom, on and off the field. It’s just grinding, really, and making sure everybody’s right there with me.”

I'm optimistic that the mindset has changed in Athens. This interview is very good material to improve my hopes, but I can't help but think that it's yet another dose of  "best M.A.T. drills... EVER". There's a very good reason for that if you've been in Sanford Stadium, or heaven forbid, Alltel Stadium (now Everbank Field) recently.

While I'm certainly in the minority, I still believe our issues over the last five years are a systemic problem, and are something that won't be fixed overnight with some fancy card shuffling, a new hire, and new-fangled protein shakes. If you've ever been in sales, you're probably already familiar with the basic point of my next statement.

 The only time people change their approach to anything is when the consequences (pain, embarrassment, disappointment) hurt more than not doing the things necessary to win (or make a sale), which is, hopefully, what last year was good for. I'm banking that it wasn't lollipops and gum drops after that loss to UCF and some guys in the locker room took it to heart.

The real question is- will all of this preseason mumbo-jumbo actually amount to results come September? I really don't know, but I think it's funny to watch the message board crowd point to it as something tangible.

1 comment:

  1. Same song 3rd verse. Show me on the field and I will believe.

    ReplyDelete