Monday, March 7, 2011

UGA Football Offseason Musical Chairs

I'll be brief with the intro here as I'm sure most of you have already heard about this. In some not-so-surprising moves, Cordy Glenn has been bumped to right tackle and Justin Anderson has been put back on the offensive side of the ball.

 It's pretty much common sense, as Cordy is the best OL returning without a lock-down on their position like Trinton and Ben Jones. If Bean can put it together (which is a huge IF), I'd feel pretty safe putting him at LG next to TS, which leaves the RG position open. 

Open is a pretty loose term though with Kenarious Gates already having starting experience at that position. I think Gates has the edge on the spot, with Harmon backing up at both the guard spots. If you put a gun to my head and asked me what the depth chart will look like come August, I'd probably say something like this:


The biggest news emanating from Athens last week is sophomore safety Alec Ogletree's move from safety to Moe (inside) linebacker. This will give Alec the ability to be a bit more active close to line of scrimmage, while also improving our our coverage ability at that position. I know this move has been met with some question, but I'm of the opinion that it will be for the better. I also think it may be out of necessity. 

I walked right next to Alec leaving the basketball game a few weeks ago and he's absolutely huge. If he's 225 pounds I'll eat my shoe. I'd say he weighs, at the very least, 230 and goes easily 6'3. Needless to say, I think this will be a big step forward from last year and allow Christian Robinson to be more of a downhill player than he was last year. I can't tell you how thrilled I'll be to NOT see Christian in "trail mode".  

I've failed to mention that it's pretty much the consensus that DeAngelo Tyson will be moving to defensive end. Grantham has already penciled in John Jenkins at NT, which doesn't bother me in the least. 

I'm all for putting the best players on the field and finding the best spot for them. Grantham is too. This makes me happy for a number of reasons:

1. No more Bryan Evans has ESSSS EEEEE CEEEEEE SPEEEED so he should be on the field no matter his atrocious coverage abilities.
2. Nixed the "They're a Senior So They Get to Play Over You" coaching philosophy. See Vance Cuff and Sanders Commings or Ogletree situations.
3. Style/Creativity points. Putting Tree at linebacker will be exciting. Three killshots per game at safety or twelve at linebacker? Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment