Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thursday LIVEBLOG: Malcolm Mitchell and Jay Rome Commitment ***Update***

This Thursday could be either a step in the right direction for the future of the Georgia program or a day that the UGA recruitniks completely melt down. And by melt down, on the nuclear scale I'm comparing the fusion in the core of the Sun and all of those Russian sub accidents.  Yeah, it could be bad if you get my drift.

As you can tell by the title of this post, all of the hubbub is because Malcolm Mitchell and Jay Rome of Valdosta plan to announce their college destination of choice Thursday sometime around ***5:30***. These would be two huge additions, as they are both Top-50 players nationally. Mitchell would play CB/WR and Rome is a fantastic TE prospect. As far as position of need and immediate impact ability, Mitchell would probably get to see the field earlier and more often because our depth at both of those positions is, at best very questionable. Rome is an elite prospect, but because of our depth at TE, unless he's just too good to keep off the field (which is highly possible) he will probably only see 10-15 snaps per game.

Because there seems to be some indication that we may be getting good news come Thursday, Dawgola and I have decided that a nice LiveBlog would be in order. We haven't done it in a while and it's usually a pretty good time, so feel free to join us. We'll be live at about ***5:15*** as Rome and Mitchell make their announcement sometime around ***5:30***, I believe.

We hope you'll join us. Just look for the LiveBlog post on Thursday in the AM.

***Times have been updated to reflect Rome's earlier announcement, which can be seen on ESPNU.

5 comments:

  1. who are u to say how many snaps a guy gets? let'em pick their college and then prove themselves who they are on the field. This could be what is wrong with recruiting at GA. If a recruit is listening to the clueless bloggers like yourself why would he want to come here? especially, if you say he only gets a certain number of plays which you have no clue about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon 11:41,

    Thanks for your comments and we appreciate that you took the time to read our blog.

    As far as predicting snaps, you're right. I'm not Miss Cleo and I certainly can't predict the future. I think it's unfair that you call me clueless, as I've watched the games just as you over the years. I've made this "snap prediction" based solely off of freshman TE's at UGA over the past 15 years.

    I think it's shortsided on your part to think that if Rome rolls to Athens, he will come in and see more snaps than that right away. Who will he be taking all these snaps from? Orson? Bruce? Aron? And don't forget about the No. 2 TE in the country in his class, Artie Lynch. I know he hasn't seen any action on the field, but you can't tell me that he isn't good enough to.

    If Rome does decide to come to Athens, it will be because of the bond he has with the coaches and other players and that he likes the place. He has the ability to play early (I've seen him live enough to know), but the only person that will dictate the time he sees on the field is himself. I really think 10-15 snaps a game is a high estimate considering the above, but I really feel that he is worthy of 5-star status and this "prediction" is a reflection of that.

    Honestly though, I hope I'm wrong. I hope Jay comes in and tears it up and starts opposite of Orson or Aron and sees 25 plays a game. That would not only tell me he's a good football player, but that he also is dedicated and has great character.

    We need all of those guys we can get, so here's to hoping Rome comes to Athens and steals all the snaps. Then you'll kinda be right and you can tell me to go sell popsicles at the South Pole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU or I don't know how many snaps a guy will get, so why even say he gets a certiain number. thats all I am saying.

    Who knows CMR may try to move Orson to a slot receiver to get more use of Orson and Rome, or Rome may even play on defence. I don't know, just an example. and That is what makes us as fans look clueless. We don't know what is in the head of CMR.

    What u may or may not realize is, what we say as a fans influences recruits. As fans we should encouge a recruit like Rome to come to Atens and not discourage it by trying to predict what kind of star he may be. I dont know if Rome rolls into athens and makes more or less snaps, but I think he could and should have a right to earn them on the field.

    Hopefully he will be able to do that as a DAWG and not an Elephant.

    BTW please excuse the gramatical errors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look I dont have any idea how many snaps Rome would get, but I didnt read anything in that article that would make Rome not want to come to UGA. In fact to me it would do just the opposite. I agree fans influence recruits, but the fact that they are having a live blog for their announcements would only lead me as a recruit to say man thats awesome these UGA fans really want me there. Just Saying

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I think it's shortsided on your part to think that if Rome rolls to Athens, he will come in and see more snaps than that right away. Who will he be taking all these snaps from? Orson? Bruce? Aron? And don't forget about the No. 2 TE in the country in his class, Artie Lynch."

    would that would really want to make you come to athens?

    ReplyDelete