Monday, January 10, 2011

Scratch One Down For the Dream Team: Swann Commits


The Dawgs got one step closer to the "Dream Team" on Saturday at about one o'clock. Becoming their 17th commitment, Damian Swann picked the Dawgs over the likes of Alabama and USC. I was very happy to hear him say of his pledge, "My heart is at Georgia. I’m ready to help bring the program back." At the same time I was happy I also thought, "Hmmmm, I wonder if that is these other guys' line of thinking?" His comments were a good look into what most 17 and 18 year-old kids think about Georgia- we're not any good. That's a fair assessment in my opinion. I hope there are more who want to help him.

At any rate, I'm glad we got this kid. We've seen him twice in person and he is a very versatile athlete with a lot of speed and a good frame. From what I can tell, he's also a really good kid and we can't have enough of those in Athens right now. If you didn't see the highlights we filmed from a Grady game earlier this year, make sure and check them out above. There's a very nifty touchdown catch nestled in there you might want to get a look at.

While Swann became the 17th member of UGA's 2011 class, Thursday, Lee County WR Sanford Seay became the 16th. Seay had a monster 2010 season, with 68 catches for 1105 yards and 15 TD, but hasn't been heavily recruited because he had test score issues. He apparently got his score last week and UGA offered. His only other offers before this were South Alabama, Marshall, and Louisiana Tech, which tells me that you may need to cross your fingers on this kid. I'd bet that his test score is dependent on his ability to make good grades at the end of this semester as well. He's a speedster with good size and hands, so I really hope he makes it to Athens.

With Ray Drew's monster AA game on Saturday, this could shape up to be a great class if Richt closes well the last month. With Drew, Mitchell, Rome, Jenkins, and a few others still on the board, we could really address some critical needs with several more commitments.

No comments:

Post a Comment