Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Recruiting Update (Exclusive Tidbit on Malcolm Mitchell)

Justin Scott-Wesley, Xzavier Dickson and Isaiah Crowell (L-R) bond during a lunch break from practices for the Under-Armour All-American Game at Disney's Wide World of Sports on Monday. (AJC photo by Chip Towers)
Don't believe the college gear hype, but maybe. (AJC/ Chip Towers)

As we wind down this year's recruiting cycle, I thought it would be pertinent to look at some of the big names in this year's class. Just so you know, I've become much less concerned with recruiting over the last year or two. I don't care so much about stars or ratings or team rankings, I just want football players who give a damn about their team and the jersey and helmet that they wear on their back.

We've had far too many 5-star athletes that don't know how to play football and there are also those 2-star football players that start from day one. Just like a guy who I look up to told me the other day, "(In college) it's all about who works harder in the weight room, classroom, on the field, and off the field. Once you get to that level, it's all about work. Just like business or anything else in life." If those weren't the exact words, that was the gist of it anyway.

The bottom line is, I want good kids who don't feel entitled and want to work their but off to get to be the best they can be. I could care less what their 40 time is, how high they jump, or what their shuttle time is. I just don't think that's all it's cracked up to be. I think our staff has been blinded by the light of all those stars a lot of the time.

But enough of my rambling and gloominess, let's talk about what to expect on the first Tuesday in February. Here's a list of where I expect the Dawgs to end up on the docket of some big recruits signing that day.


  • Jay Rome, TE, Valdosta: I think it's very safe to say that Rome will end up in Athens. He's been pretty public about his affection for UGA. Being the in-state school and a TE powerhouse like we are have really impressed upon Rome and family.
    • PREDICTION: GEORGIA
  • Damian Swann, CB, Grady: Swann has already made his decision and will be announcing it this Saturday at the Army All-American game. He has only visited UGA and has maintained that he has known his decision for a while. He has already talked to the school and they say he can take other visits. Of his three schools Bama, USC, and UGA, UGA is the only team that would allow him to do this. 
    • PREDICTION: GEORGIA
  • Quan Bray, ATH, Troup: While the Dawgs have put the full-court press on Bray in the last few months, I think he will end up picking Auburn out of his final two of AU/UGA. I just get the feeling that all that Heisman/National Championship hype surrounding their program will turn the tide in AU's favor. Having Gus Malzahn doesn't hurt either. He'll be announcing Wednesday night at the Under Armour All-American game on ESPN. 
    • PREDICTION: AUBURN
  • Isaiah Crowell, RB, Carver-Columbus: This is the single most important recruit of this year's class. Hopefully they've made him feel that way. He's always been a Georgia fan and Bama still has Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy on the team with four-star Demetrius Hart on the way. I really hope...
    • PREDICTION: GEORGIA
  • Ray Drew, OLB, Thomas County Central: FSU and UGA are the front-runners here, but Drew is playing this close to the vest. He has been to Georgia several times and Grantham has made him the defensive priority. He is on the verge to be an ordained minister and we all know who is known for his outward display of his faith. I think UGA is the clear leader.
    • PREDICTION: GEORGIA
  • Xzavier Dickson, OLB, Griffin: His teammate Corey Moore has already committed to the Dawgs and he was seen with two of his pals Justin Scott-Wesley and Isaiah Crowell holding up the "#1" sign with both hands with a UGA beanie on today (per Kipp @ UGASports' Twitter). 
    • PREDICTION: GEORGIA
And now for the special tidbit on Malcolm Mitchell:
  • Malcolm Mitchell, CB/WR, Valdosta: After the GACA game last week, I was wandering around the field trying to find someone. I happened upon Devin Bowman, Mitchell, and some other guy I couldn't identify. Bowman grabbed Mitchell and the other guy and said, "Now let's get our Georgia boys together for a picture. We gone get it done up there boys." Two Georgia guys took there picture as he was doing this. I heard from some player for the South squad when asked who they were, "Oh they're some of those Georgia guys." I really feel like we'll get him after hearing that and seeing the smile on Mitchell's face.
    • PREDICTION: Georgia
I know that this seems like a homer's depiction of what he feels like will happen, but I have really tried to remove my Georgia glasses here. This is just from what I've seen. Like I said earlier, I think recruiting is way getting to be way, way overrated. I could care less if we had a bunch of Rennie Currans, Chester Adams, Kris Durhams, and Kelin Johnsons on the commit list. They didn't have a bunch of stars, but they worked their butts off, loved the G they wore, and were all standouts. I'll take that over an entitled primadonna with a bunch of stars any day. 

4 comments:

  1. Ray Drew marked F$U off his list a long time ago. They haven't even been in his top 5 for awhile. Ray Drew IS an ordained minister, not on the verge of. Auburn has hired Bray's uncle (per rumor) so that would be the only thing that would make Bray go to Auburn, otherwise, expect to see a G on his head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S FL Chapter of the Bulldog NationJanuary 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM

    Well I'd say that would be a very good day for the Bulldog Nation if those young men decided that Athens was the place for them....I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Fingers crossed here....GO DAWGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the Dickson prediction. He looked great in his Alabama hat on television.

    ReplyDelete