Monday, December 27, 2010

Three Dawgs Ineligible for Liberty Bowl

Per Mark Weiszer of the Athens Banner-Herald, as expected the Dawgs will be without the services of starting tailback Caleb King and backups Derek Owens and A.J. Harmon. King wasn't a surprise, as it was reported last week that there were concerns of his eligibility in question. If I'm not mistaken, Owens played in every game this year and collected six tackles and returned two punts for a total of 16 yards (stats via cfbstats.com). Harmon played in two games with some snaps in mop-up duty.

Saying I'm a little disappointed in these guys is definitely an understatement. Most of it comes stems from Caleb's inability to get his head on straight, but Owens and Harmon sure could've done their part as well. With the constant negative headlines surrounding King, I'm sure Richt is getting to the end of his rope. The young man just can't get things going in the right direction. If you weren't aware, he was bailing his brother out of jail when the police found out that he had an outstanding warrant out on his head earlier in the season. This is the same brother that was investigated for a theft of electronic devices in October. Not exactly great company to be keeping.

I've never been an important part of any athletic team, but you'd think that his position on the team would give him the motivation necessary to avoid disappointing his teammates. I have a really hard time understanding this. Is it really that hard to make prudent decisions for your future?

Anyway, I'm tired of bellyaching about these type of issues on our team. At this point, it's a waste of my time to expect that some of these guys have a modicum of respect for themselves. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not making a blanket statement because there are a lot of great kids on the team who appreciate everything they're given and work their tail off. However, it's not hard for them to pass classes if they want to.

They have note takers, tutors, class attendance monitors, study hall, and pretty much any other academic aid that they desire to use. The only thing that I can figure is that they just don't care, which is a shame. I don't know for sure, but if I were in the same situation I'd be tickled damn pink to get all that free education, housing, food, and clothes.

Add this to the pile of things that discourage me about the attitudes of some in Athens.

1 comment:

  1. 16 suspensions now for 2010.

    Great.

    Just great.

    I see your reference to the Excuses dreamed up by the vocal minority about all 16 suspensions for 2010 alone in paragraph 4.

    And, of course Mark Richt should have come clean on this 2 weeks ago when he 1st was asked about Caleb Darnell King, instead of all the bad press about it anyway all this time, and now this Christmas present from Mark Richt - that he still has NO DISCIPLINE.

    ReplyDelete