Thursday, November 4, 2010

What to Expect Tonight at Stegeman


Like most, I was really excited to see how Trey's game has improved during the off-season tonight. Unfortunately, that won't be the case so I'll have to defer to my second choice, freshman Donte Williams. Because of Trey's absence, we should see a lot of Donte early and often. I've heard some scuttlebutt that he might be a little bit of a surprise this season and that he's really improved in the time he's been in Athens. He also needed to gain some weight and I've heard he's put on 12-15 lbs.

As far as the starting five, I think you'll see Dustin at the point, Gerald at the 2, Travis 3, Price 4, and Barnes 5. I think there is a slight possibility that there will be a shakeup and you'll see Gerald start at the point, Travis slide to the 2, and Thornton gets the start at three. I don't think it's very likely, but it could happen. Fox tweeted a few weeks ago, "Worked out our team today - you'd be surprised at the lineup if we played tonight. Our depth is much better." That's the only thing that leads me to believe that second scenario is a remote possibility.

I'm also intrigued to see how good of a pickup Sherrard Brantley was. He was a heck of a shooter in JUCO and that's something that you just don't lose. The big part of the equation that I haven't seen is his defense. If you don't play defense and fight for rebounds in Fox's system, you don't play, so that could be a concern with Brantley.

I think people will also realize what a good transfer we have in Robinson. He will add a dynamic that we haven't had in a long time and give us the ability to pick up some easy baskets in transition with his speed. He and Travis on the floor at the same time should be absolutely terrifying to opposing defenses. Add Thornton in there with Barnes, Leslie, and Robinson and the Dawgs will have one of the most athletic foursomes in the country on the floor at the same time.

I'm really, really optimistic at what this team can do. Trey's just has to get back in there ASAFP. We can pick up some quality wins with Colorado and the Old Spice Classic coming up in a few weeks. If he's not back, that will be a very tall task. With a very tough Eastern Division, we need all the early quality wins we can muster to get to March.

We'll have some thoughts up after the game tonight and we'll be tweeting with updates if you can't make it. Make sure and check our tweetdock at http://twitter.com/Hedges2Hardwood.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I'm interested to hear a report on Robinson. Hopefully he can be the speedy guard that Fox needs to run his system. Also looking forward to some updates on the improvements to the Steg.

    ReplyDelete