Thursday, November 18, 2010

Trey Thompkins Update

After listening to an optimistic Mark Fox about the status of Trey after the game Tuesday, I'm still not convinced we'll see him before next week's Old Spice Classic in Orlando. Fox said he had resumed running a little on the treadmill and swimming pool, but has yet to fully test the ankle. I was hopeful he'd play sooner rather than later when I saw him dressed for last Friday's game against Mississippi Valley State. Tuesday, he ditched the game garb for a polo and black slacks.

As it stands right now, it doesn't look good that Trey will be playing next week. Fox won't risk that he's not ready for SEC play, and I think the guys have proven they can get a quality win against a team with some talent without him. It would be nice to get a couple of wins in Orlando for our SOS and RPI, but it's too risky unless HT3 is 100%.

Another factor in this is the murderers row we have to start out SEC play. We play Kentucky twice, FL, UTk, Vandy, MSU, and @Ole Miss. We'll definitely need him to be completely healthy then, so it would be best to err on the side of safety. It's all about how you're playing in February and April, and I don't think an early loss or two without your best player hurts your NCAA hopes as much as a late season loss of any type.

All of this being said, I hope he gets back as soon as possible. I'm excited to see how the team improves with him on the court. Like I said in Tuesday's game recap, the Dawgs will be a pretty good team when he gets back out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment