Friday, November 12, 2010

How to Back Into National Titles: The Saga of Les Miles and Cam Newton

I'd say The Hat is probably one of the most happy men in college football right about now. With the twitterverse abuzz with the news of Cam Newton's possible benching, Miles can now see a path to the BCS National Championship clearing up. If it's true that Chizik is going to announce that he's ineligible to play tomorrow, Auburn starts taking on water faster than the Titanic. Malzahn's offense has been designed for Newton to run it and with a slow white guy as the backup, it spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E. If Auburn loses it's final two games, LSU gets the Western Division nod.

Dawgola and I have chosen not to do a write-up about the Newton situation for a few reasons:
  • It seems like there is new info every hour and the facts change. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth. 
  • I'm not really sure this was on Cam. From the sound of it, it was about his "daddy" and his financial troubles. I don't want to disparage a kid when it wasn't really his decision or fault of his own. It seems like these shetchy preacher types are always out to exploit someone. It's unfathomable that he'd do it to his own kid.
  • The media is really piling on. You can get plenty of info from Joe Schad or Chris Low and form your own opinion. I'm really not sure what to think other than Auburn is in A LOT of trouble and so is Cecil Newton.
I know Newton has had a marked past and some allegations have come out that paint a pretty dark picture of him. None of these have been substantiated other than the theft by receiving of the laptop. I'm sure there is probably something to them, but at this point, I hate to say it, but I'm starting to feel a little sorry for Cam. If I remember correctly, reports have claimed that it wasn't his decision where to go- it was up to Cecil. This is starting to look like another Marcus Dupree-type story, which is pretty ironic considering the "30 for 30" about him just aired this week.

At any rate,  I don't give the Aubies a good chance to win the West should Cam not play the rest of the year. I'm not completely sure that's going to happen, but it doesn't look good that he'll play as of now. Just like Bad Company says....



No comments:

Post a Comment