Friday, October 29, 2010



BTFF: Beyond Thunderdome Edition 
Yeah, I know Dawgola won last week. In what could have been called "Thunderdome BTFF Style", I have somehow lived to fight another day. Even though Tina Turner proclaimed, "Two man enter, one man leave," just like  Master Blaster I have battled Mel Gibson and lived in spite of defeat. Yes, I'm aware Blaster gets dropped like a bad habit to conform with "Dome" rules after the ruckus with Mel. I'll probably face the same fate after this week. Anyway, in an effort to forget my utterly clueless picks last week, I have decided to give it the old college try again this week.

Actually, because of a variety of EXTREMELY unfortunate circumstances, I have been yoked with the responsibility of being college football seer this week. Dawgola is in St. Simon's soaking up sand, sun, exotic women, and luxurious libations of every sort while I get to hand out Trick-or-Treat candy. Does this undermine my Dawgly insight and fan-itude? Possibly. Will it curtail my expletive usage and shameless jersey and jort jeering on Saturday? Certainly not. My envy is thick and the hair gel will be even thicker. But enough of my wailing and gnashing of teeth about not attending this year's festivities, ON WITH THE PICKS!

As always, HOME TEAM in CAPS.

Alabama-Birmingham (+10) vs. SOUTHERN MISS -- UAB is certainly a better team right now than their record of 2-5 indicates. They took Mississippi State to the wire last week and also probably should have beaten Tennessee in Knoxville, had their kicker not missed 5 field goals. Southern Miss looks like a pretty good team and will probably win this one straight up, however I really like UAB to keep this one close. Somehow Neil Callaway gets these guys coached up for big games, something he sure didn't do in Athens.

Van Dawgin's Pick: Alabama-Birmingham (+10)

Michigan State (+6.5) vs. IOWA -- Michigan State is flying high coming into this game at 8-0. Sparty seems to be playing way above their head. Kirk Cousins seems to be a legit QB, but Ricki Stanzi is setting the woods on fire. His passer rating of 174.87 is second nationally, trailing only Kellen Moore of Boise. The polls really like MSU with that 8-0 record, but Vegas can't "Stan-zi" Spartans. I'm not buying it either.

Van Dawgin's Pick: IOWA (-6.5)

MISSISSIPPI (+7) vs. Auburn -- I've heard this matchup referred to as "The Laptop Bowl". If you know anything about Masoli and Newton's past, you'll understand. This seems to be the trendy "Upset Watch" game of the week with ESPN analysts. They are all on Cam Newton's jock, yet think that this could be a game that sneaks up on Auburn. It's the classic "Don't Fall Asleep at the Wheel When You're Driving a Mack Truck That's On Fire and Carrying Plutonium in a Mine Field" argument. REALLY grinds my gears. Anyhoo, I think Ole Miss has a lot of good players that don't get a great deal of pub on the offensive side of the ball. Auburn still doesn't know how to play defense, and hence Ole Miss keeps it close.

Van Dawgin's Pick: MISSISSIPPI (+7)***

***I feel like I'm playing with fire with this one. I honestly think Ole Miss could get embarrassed or win, so I'm gonna average the two and say they get beaten by 6. ALSO, take the OVER in this game at 60.5. Trust me. With no defense to be seen, there's no doubt these two score in the 70's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment