Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Photobucket
(Note: Tangential Topical Terror Tuesday or (TTTT or T^4) is a feature we plan running every Tuesday (obviously) concerning mostly non-sports related subjects. All feedback, positive or negative, is welcome).

Without further babbling, today's topic: MOVIE REVIEWS! The summer movie season is in full swing and we have more than acquiesced. Here is my quick take on two movies recently seen by Martin van Dawgin and me....don't worry, no spoilers.....

1. PREDATORS

Ah, what could be better than yet another Predator movie...because if you haven't seen Aliens vs. Predator or the atrocity of a sequel then well...good choice. Surprisingly, however, Predators proves to be a rather enjoyable film. The main reason I enjoyed this "reboot" is the fact that Predators pays serious homage to the original 1987 John McTiernan version. The setting takes place in a jungle (like the original) at what I think is present day, but on an entirely different planet. Basically, the Predators are gathering seemingly random humans and releasing them on this weird new planet. But guess what....THE PREDATORS ARE THERE TOO! I know, I know, I was shocked as well. Sarcasm aside, the lead role (played by Adrian Brody) gives an above average (but not spectacular) performance and the supporting cast is serviceable as well. There is a lot of killing, attempts at killing, and thoughts about killing, and I will leave it at that. Overall, Predators serves as great summer fun and I rank it clearly as the second best movie in the franchise (the original is number one of course).

Final Rating: 6.5/10

2. INCEPTION

Well, honestly, I could write about this movie every day for the next month. I had high expectations for this film given the director (Christopher Nolan) and the lead role (Leonardo DiCaprio) and yet it far surpassed these expectations. I am not going into too much detail about the plot because, well, my head might explode trying to remember exactly what happened. In a very small nutshell, Inception is about a small group of individuals who have discovered how to invade and infiltrate others' dreams using special sedatives and devices. There...that is all the you are getting about the plot. In addition to using an original plot concept, incredible visuals, and being extremely well-acted, Nolan (who also wrote the screenplay) manages to make this film the most thought provoking I have ever seen. (Wait, let me put it like Tim McCarver might: "I'm not so sure this isn't one of the most thought provoking movies I've seen in quite some time"). But seriously, it's truly hard to describe in words and can only be appreciated when seen on the big screen. Maybe this movie just so happens to be right up my alley, but judging by the buzz, many others share my opinion as well. Overall, it is probably in my top ten of all time and quite frankly, is hard to quantify on a 0-10 scale due to its uniqueness. The biggest WOW movie of the summer for sure.

Final Rating: 9.5/10 (but like I said, hard to quantify)

1 comment:

  1. Did anyone have time to bleed in Predators?

    ReplyDelete