Thursday, July 29, 2010

In the Radar and (of Course) Under It


For your obligatory "under the radar team" post this pre-season I thought it would be a good idea to preface my argument with the fact that this is one of my most hated euphemisms in sports. It's right up there with the unintentional intentional derogatory "He's a real high motor guy" from a clueless Bob Davie. Despite my disdain for the phrase, I've come up with some pretty intriguing cases fitting a team that isn't thought of much and may be a surprise and also one who could easily disappoint.

First up, one who may easily disappoint.

I'm always leery of a Wannstache coached team and this year could be the year of epic fail. Pittsburgh seems to be the consensus favorite to win the Big East. It's too bad Dion Lewis and Jonathan Baldwin can't play defense with Greg Romeus, because there isn't a lot to speak of on that side of the ball. With only six returning starters on defense I don't foresee good things happening. There isn't a great deal of depth on the defensive line and both starting corners are gone from last year as well. There is also a QB controversy with a RS sophomore and RS junior, which tells me neither one is very good. To complicate these issues the schedule doesn't look very favorable with games at Utah, Notre Dame, UCONN, USF, and Cincy. The U is also on the schedule early and there is a good chance that Allen Bailey may actually eat the diminutive Pitt running back.

My prediction: 7-5, 2nd in the Big East

Now for my surprise team of 2010.

Baylor hasn't made it to a bowl since 1994. Combine that with an all-time winning percentage of just under .500 and there really isn't a lot to speak of. I think this year will be the one when the Green and Gold finish at that mark for the first time in quite a while. Robert Griffin (via cfbstats.com)is a very, very good quarterback and one that I believe will in contention for the Heisman at the end of the season. Combine that with an extremely favorable schedule and there is a great chance that the Bears will be bowling come December. Winnable games include Sam Houston State, Buffalo, at Rice, Kansas, Kansas State, and Texas A&M. I think they'll also win two of three between Texas Tech, at Colorado, and at Oklahoma State.

My prediction: 7-5, 5th in Big 12

No comments:

Post a Comment